Today I am sharing a very simple but unique ‘Bora’ or Fritter recipe made with Potol/Parval/Pointed Gourd leaves. It is a traditional Bengali recipe. In Bengal it is called Polta Patar Bora’. The word ‘Polta’ comes from two words Potol (PointedGourd) + Lota (Climber / Creeper).
- Wash the pointed gourd leaves under running water thoroughly. Tear only the leaves discarding the stems. Soak the leaves in water for some time.
- Drain out water and make a paste of the leaves with green chillies in a grinder and keep it aside.
- Now grind the soaked moong dal in grinder but avoid adding water as it will make the batter mix runny and fritters cannot be made.
- Now mix the pointed gourd leaf paste with the moong dal paste. Mix very well.
- Add baking soda and mix.
- Add salt just before frying the fritters.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a skillet. Now with a spoon put one spoon of the batter on the skillet. Fry on low flame 6-8 in each batch.
- Turn the fritters and fry the other side too.
- Fry till it becomes crisp on outer side.