‘Potol’ or pointed gourd is a summer vegetable in India. It is called ‘Parwal’ in Hindi. It is common in eastern and northern India and mostly cultivated in eastern part of India. ‘Potol’ can be cooked in various ways; from fried, curried or even one can make the famous sweet ‘Potol Misti’ stuffed with ‘khoya’.
Not everyone likes potol, but this ‘Potol Posto’ is loved by most. This is a dry recipe ideal with rice. You have to be liberal in adding ‘posto’ (poppy seeds) in this dish. Try to use very fresh and young ‘potol’ with less seed. I have cut them lengthwise into half but you can cut them into four pieces or you can cook with whole ‘potol’ too it the size of ‘potol’ is small.
Since I am a ‘Ghoti’, we make ‘posto’ with almost every vegetables possible like ‘Aloo Posto’, ‘Jhinge Posto’, ‘Chingri-Aloo Posto’, ‘Bhapa Posto’, ‘Chichinga Posto’, ‘Fulkopi Posto’ …. And what not! Maa cooks ‘potol’ either with poppy seed paste (potol-posto) or mustard seed paste (Sorse-Potol), even sometimes with yogurt (Doi-Potol or Spicy Doi Potol). Yes … yes … I know what you are going to ask …. I’ll be sharing these recipes very soon.
- 12 – 14 Potol or Pointed Gourd
- Poppy Seed – 5 Tbsp
- Red Whole Chillie – 1
- Green Chilli – 3
- Nigella Seed or Kalo Jira – ¼ tsp (Optional)
- Red Chillie Powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – According to taste
- Sugar – 1 pinch
- 4 – 5 Tbsps Mustard Oil
- Soak the poppy seed s in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Scrape the skin of pointed gourd and peel strips in alternate. Cut each in half along the length.
- Marinate them with a little salt and turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Grind soaked poppy seeds adding a whole red chilli with water into a thick paste.
- Heat 2 Tbsp mustard oil. Fry the potol in medium heat with lid on till light brown. Remove and keep aside
- If required add 1 tsp oil in kadai. Temper the oil with ½ tsp of nigella seeds and 3 slit green chilli. Stir and add the poppy seed paste and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add fried potol. Mix well.
- Add salt, red chilli powder and a little water (3-4 spoons). Fry for next few minutes till raw smell of poppy seed is gone.
- Now add ¼ cup water 1 tsp mustard oil, a pinch of sugar to taste and cover and let it cook till ‘potol’ are done. Remove cover and serve with rice.