As I have shared different recipes of ‘Enchore’ or green jackfruit. This one is my first time experiment. In my earlier posts on ‘Enchore’ I have mentioned that green jackfruit is also called by its nickname in Bengal ‘Gach Pantha’ which literally translated means ‘Tree Goat’ but the essence being Vegetarian Meat. So I thought why not to try ‘Enchore Rezala’ instead of ‘Mutton Rezala’. Today is ‘Viswakarma Puja’. Normally I cook some Mutton dish on Viswakarma Puja. But this year it is so hot that I dropped my plan of cooking mutton dish and cooked some fish (Tilapiar Jhaal – Tilapia in Mustard Sauce) and ‘Enchore Rezal’. This dish goes both with rice or some veg-pulao and roti.
I have boiled the enchore/green jackfruit in pressure cooker for two reasons … firstly to cartel down the cooking time and secondly to maintain the colour of the gravy. But keep in mind that ‘Enchore’ should not be overcooked; else the whole curry will end up in thick gooey texture. It hardly takes any time to cook once you have got all your ingredients at place. So try ‘Enchore Rezala’ following the steps mentioned below ……
- Peel and cut the green jackfruit in slightly big pieces. Now boil the green jackfruit in a pressure cooker with little salt till one whistle. Do not release the pressure. After it releases pressure open the lid and drain out the excess water in a colander.
- Boil the onions and then grind them into very smooth paste.
- Beat the yogurt till smooth with 2 tsp of sugar.
- Once you are ready to cook heat the oil in a non stick pan or kadai and lightly toss the per-boiled jackfruit. Care should be taken while sautéing them that it should not turn into brown else it will spoil the colour of the curry. Take then out and keep them aside.
- Add ghee to the same pan. Add the whole spices like bay leaf, red chilli, black peppercorn, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon and clove.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste. Fry till raw smell goes off.
- Now add boiled onion paste. Stir for 10-15 seconds and add the boiled and sautéed green jackfruit. Mix very well.
- Now add coriander powder, white pepper powder and salt. Mix again
- Next add beaten yogurt. Add ½ cup water and cover to cook for 10-15 minutes or till the green jackfruit is done.
- Remove cover and add garam masala powder, nutmeg powder, keora water, fresh cream. Mix it one more time.
- Your Enchore Rezala is ready to be served with Butter Naan, Roti or Rumali Roti.
~ Use fresh and thick yogurt for best result.
~ You can substitute white pepper powder with black pepper powder. There would not be much difference in taste only the colour of the curry will be changed slightly.