“Doi Murgi/Chicken” (Yogurt Chicken) is a very popular Bengali chicken dish, where the chicken pieces are marinated in yogurt with some other spices. This is a curry which is cooked with very minimal spices but gets its reach look from the yogurt. You need very good quality of fresh homemade yogurt or store bought yogurt for this recipe.
This chicken curry can be cooked in very less time. The chicken is cooked in yogurt and gives a very smooth texture in gravy. Since the chicken is marinated in yogurt for a long time the chicken becomes very soft and succulent. Here is one of the simplest and easiest Bengali chicken curries known as “Doi Murgi/Chicken” in my own style. It is a very simple yet delicious chicken recipe, a must try I would say. Some time I cook “Doi Murgi/Chicken” with ghee, some time with mustard oil and some time with refined oil. Every time I get different taste. So rock your lunch or dinner…..
- 1 kg Chicken – (Medium sized pieces)
- 1 ½ cups Onion Paste
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1 ½ tsps Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp Crushed Black Peppercorn
- 2 Dry Red Whole Chillie
- 4 – 5 (lightly crushed) Green Cardamoms
- 2” Cinnamon – pieces
- 4 – 5 Cloves
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Sugar
- To taste Salt
- ¼ cup Oil
- 2 Tbsps Fresh Cream or Cashew Paste
- To marinate:
- 300 g Yogurt – (beaten)
- 1 tsp Red Chillie Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Beat the yogurt. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and a little salt. Marinate the chicken pieces in the yogurt mixture in a fridge for atleast 3-4 hours.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot (kadai or handi) add bay leaf, dry whole chilli, crushed pepper, green cardamom, cinnamon, clove. Fry till you get the aroma of the spices.
- Add onion paste and fry till it turns pink. Add ginger paste and garlic paste. Fry on low flame until the raw smell goes off and oil starts releasing from the sides of the pan.
- Add crushed pepper corn.
- Next to add the marinated chicken pieces, don’t add the marinade, add only chicken pieces this time. Sauté the chicken on low flame until the oil separates. It will take approx 10-15 minutes.
- Now add the marinade. Mix, cover & cook on low flame till the chicken is tender and cooked. Keep stirring in between.
- Add sugar and adjust salt. Mix & cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Mix in the fresh cream or cashew paste. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with Basanti Pulao, Vegetable Fried Rice or plain steamed rice.
~ I cooked this chicken preparation without water, as yogurt releases much water during the time of cooking. So I didn’t feel to add water.
~ Adding fresh cream or cashew paste is optional.