This is an ‘musur dal’ recipe that I prefer most amongst all ‘masoor dal’ or pink lentil recipes. As the name says this is a ‘dal’ recipe prepared with ‘peyaj’ or onion and tempered with ‘panch foran’ or Bengal five spices. This ‘dal’ goes very well with both steamed rice and roti. If you prefer to have this ‘dal’ with rice, try this with ‘Chingrimach dea Panch Torkari’. For a simple lunch this combination is ideal with some green salad by side. This ‘Peyaj dea Musur Dal’ can be a part of ideal comfort food!
- Wash the dal well and soak them for 15-20 minutes. Now pressure-cook the dal with 2 cups of water, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp turmeric powder, till they become soft. Let the pressure release of its own. Keep the cooked dal aside.
- In a kadai or wok heat oil. Add panch foran, red whole dry chillie and bay leaf and fry till it exudes aroma.
- Now add chopped onion, chopped garlic (optional) and sauté in medium heat until translucent.
- Add the cooked dal. Pour ½ cups water. You can adjust the quantity of water as required. Consistency of this ‘dal’ would be a little thick.
- Add salt, green chillie and simmer the musur dal for 2-3 minutes more on a medium heat till you get the desired consistency. Garnish ‘Mulo dea Musur Dal’ with chopped coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.