‘Masala Pav’ (Spicy Bread) is another famous Mumbai street food like ‘Pav Bhaji’. This is also a breakfast/snack recipe that can be made very easily. The ‘Pav’ or buns are sliced horizontally and then they are stuffed with a vegetable stuffing cooked with some spices. To add more taste I apply some butter in the ‘Pav’. If you wish you can lightly toast them too. Just serve it with tomato ketchup and some chopped onion and coriander. It is a good option for your kid’s lunch box too….
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add garlic paste, ginger paste and stir for few seconds, then add chopped onion and sauté till onion becomes soft.
- Now add chopped capsicum and sauté for 2 minutes on low medium flame till it becomes soft, then add chopped tomato in it, stir it and mix well. Cook till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add salt, pav bhaji masala, roasted red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chopped green chillies and mix it well.
- Now reduce the flame and add mashed potatoes, mix well with a potato masher and add ½ cup water. Sauté it for 4-5 minutes till it becomes fine smooth mixture.
- Add butter, chopped coriander and squeeze 2 tsp lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
- Slit the Pavs into halves horizontally. Heat griddle or tawa. Lightly toast the buns adding a little butter.
- Stuff the toasted pavs with cooked masala mixture.
- Masala Pav is ready to be served with chopped onion and chopped coriander leaves.