‘Khaman Dhokla’ is a famous and nutritious Gujarati snack. Using very few ingredients ‘Khaman Dhokla’ can be prepared very easily at home. Main ingredient for preparing this recipe is gram flour, mixed with few other ingredients. It is prepared steaming the batter till it becomes soft and fluffy. I always make ‘Khaman Dhokla’ in microwave so I’m sharing the microwave version. Beating the batter is the main trick to a fluffy ‘Khaman Dhokla’. Like the cake batter more you beat, the more air is incorporated in the batter. Before adding Eno (Fruit Salt) or any other rising agent briskly whisk the batter till it is bubbly and frothy. To get the same taste what we get in local shops – water mixed with sugar is added to cook ‘Khaman Dhokla’. Serve it hot with tamarind chutney.
- Preparing the dhokla batter:
- Grease a microwave proof bowl with 1 tsp of oil.
- Take besan or gram flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, sugar and baking soda. Mix well.
- Next add beaten yogurt and oil. Rest this batter for 10 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water or as required to make thick yet flowing water.
- Add Eno. The ingredient which I use to leaven the dhokla batter is Eno. Stir briskly and quickly. The fruit salt should be mixed evenly with the batter else you get uneven texture in the dhokla.
- Pour the batter in a greased a microwave safe bowl or pan with oil.
- Cook in micro high for 2 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in the middle of the dhokla. If it comes out clean then dhokla is cooked. Else cook on micro high for another 30-60 seconds.
- Remove the dhokla from the pan once cooled.
- Tempering for dhokla:
- Heat oil in a small pan. Crackle mustard seeds, green chillies.
- Add ½ cup water and sugar. Boil the water till the sugar dissolves.
- Pour this tempering mixture evenly on the ‘Khaman Dhokla’.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Serve ‘Khaman Dhokla’ with sweet tamarind chutney.
~I used plain eno without any flavors.
~After adding Eno or any other rising agent mix the batter and cook immediately.