‘Dal’ is very essential part of any Indian meal. We cook different types of ‘dal’ every day in our meal. The recipe that I’ll share today, ‘Macher Matha dea Bhaja Mooger Dal’ is not a everyday ‘dal’ but a special occasion ‘dal’. This ‘dal’ is mainly cooked in a lunch on any marriage function or on a special occasion. This is a rich preparation and cooked with fish heads of about 2.5-3 kg weight. This is a little time consuming but very tasty preparation. Try this on any special occasion at your home …..
- Lightly dry roast the moong dal till it becomes golden brown and exudes a nutty flavour. Lets it cool and then wash them thoroughly. Soak them in some water for sometimes and then cook them in a pressure cooker adding a little salt and turmeric powder and 2 cups of water.
- Marinate the fish heads with 1 tsp of turmeric powder and some salt.
- Heat enough oil to shallow fry the fish heads. Now slide the fish heads slowly in hot oil. (You can cut the fish heads in small pieces. It will help to fry them easily). Fry them till light brown always with a lid on. Keep them aside.
- Now heat 3 tsp of oil in another kadai or wok. Temper the oil with all the whole masalas.
- Add chopped onion and fry till transparent.
- Next add garlic paste, ginger paste and chopped tomatoes. Fry till oil separates.
- Now add all the dry masalas and the fried fish heads. Sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt and 1 cup of water. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes in medium heat.
- Now add the boiled dal. Mix well.
- Add sugar, green chillies and cook for another 5 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Drizzle some ghee on top. ‘Macher Matha dea Bhaja Mooger Dal’ is ready to be served with steamed rice.
~ Always fry the fish heads with a lid on.
~ Do not used the oil left after frying the fish heads for cooking the dal.