‘Dal’ is an indispensible dish in Indian meals. For most vegetarians ‘Dal’ or lentils and legumes are one of the main source of protein. ‘Navratan Dal Tadka’ is always made by Mom mostly when any vegetarian guest comes for dinner. This ‘Navaratan Dal Tadka’ as the name says is a lentil based recipe prepared using nine different kind of dals such as Matar (Dried Yellow Pea), Moth Dal (Moth Bean), Hari Moong Dal (Whole Green Gram), Urad Dal (Split Black Gram), Kali Urad Dal (Whole Black Gram), Kali Masoor Dal (Whole Red Lentil with Husk), Kabuli Chana (Chick Pea), Chana (Red Gram or Bengal Gram), Rajma (Red Kidney Bin)et al. I use this mix readily available in Big Bazar. You can use any nine types of dals (lentils and legumes) of your choice. Mixing a variety of lentils gives a more interesting flavor. I keep the consistency of the ‘dal’ thick as I serve it with roti, chapatti, parantha etc. You may serve along with Zeera Rice or any Vegetable Pulao by keeping the consistency a little thin. ‘Navratan Dal Tadka’ is so good to eat that you won’t need any other accompaniment. The freshly ground masala gives the dal a unique flavor.
- Soak the mixed dal overnight or atleast for 8 hours. Next morning wash the dal and pressure cook adding a little salt. Let the steam release.
- In a pan dry roast the masala and grind them in fine powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onion till they become translucent.
- Next add ginger paste and garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add chopped tomatoes. Add sugar and a little salt. Mash the tomatoes and cook them till oil separates.
- Now add turmeric powder and red chillie powder. Sauté for few seconds.
- Now add the boiled dal. Mix well.
- Next add the freshly ground masala and add 1 cup of water (adjust according to your desired consistency). Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust salt. Add garam masala powder.
- Switch off the heat. Mix in fresh cream.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with choice of your rice or flat bread.