‘Shol Mach’ or Snakehead Murrel is a very popular fish in eastern part of India and Bangladesh. We cook many recipes with Shol Fish like ‘Aam Shol’, ‘Shol Macher Jhol’ etc… Today I decided to make a spicy curry with this fish …. ‘Shol Macher Kalia’. The Gravy is very rich and beautiful in taste and texture, a perfect dish for lunch or dinner with some steamed rice by side. ‘Shol Mach’ used to be a winter specialty before. It was told earlier that this fish shouldn’t be consumed during summer, as they get diseases during the summer. So it’s better to avoid any fish of this type during summer. But now a days this fish is available throughout the year and the fishes are very fresh. I bought this fish of medium size yesterday and cooked this tasty curry with some potato. Here goes the recipe.
Ingredients to serve 5
- Shol Fish or Snake Head Murrel – 10 pieces
- Potato – 2 (medium – cut into 4 pieces each)
- Green Peas – A handful (Optional)
- Onion Paste – ½ cup
- Garlic Paste – 1 ½ tsps
- Ginger Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Tomato – 1 (Large – finely chopped)
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chillie Powder – ¾ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Bay Leaves – 2
- Green Chilli – 2 to 3
- Turmeric Powder – 1 ½ tsps
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Oil – ¾ cup
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – For garnishing
- Marinate the fish pieces with some turmeric powder and salt for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok and shallow fry the fish pieces until golden. Keep aside.
- Now fry the potatoes, let them turn golden brown, remove and keep aside.
- If required add 2-3 tsp of oil in kadai and temper the oil with cumin seeds, bay leaf.
- Add the onion paste and sauté until light brown in color.
- Now add the garlic paste, mix and stir for few seconds. Add chopped tomatoes, green chilies, ginger paste.
- When oil starts separating from the sides add salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chillie powder and ½ tsp of turmeric powder. Mix and sauté this on medium flame until the masala starts leaving oil.
- Now add 2 cup of water. Mix and let it come to boil. Add fried potatoes, cover and cook till the potatoes are almost done.
- Now add fried fish pieces and garam masala powder. Cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaf. Delicious ‘Shol Macher Kalia’ is ready to be served with steamed rice.