This is a preparation that I often make at home …. ‘Shorshe-Posto Chingri’. As the name represents it is a Prawn curry with mustard and poppy seed paste. This recipe is very simple yet delicious. I often make this in microwave too but with slight difference in ingredients. You need to buy medium sized fresh prawns for making this spicy curry. I have cooked this curry with prawns with heads because the heads add more flavor to the gravy. You can make without the heads too. Even you can use frozen prawns for making this curry too. Here goes the recipe of this delicious prawn curry…….
- Wash and shell the prawns and devein them keeping the heads intact. Marinate the prawns with ½ tsp turmeric powder and ½ tsp salt for 10-15 minutes.
- Soak mustard seeds and poppy seeds in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Make a smooth paste with mustard seeds, poppy seeds, 2 green chillies, coconut adding a little salt.
- Heat 2Tbsp of mustard oil in a pan. Shallow fry the prawns till the shell turns into light pink. Do not overcook them.
- Now add 1 tsp oil more. Put in cumin powder, pinch of turmeric powder and the masala paste. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of warm water. Add red chilli powder (Optional). Mix well.
- When the water starts boiling put in the prawns in and mix in with a very light hand.
- Now add the green chillies. Add sugar. Adjust salt.
- Next transfer the whole thing into a microwave proof bowl and pour 1 tsp of mustard oil on it. Cook in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. You can cook them in pan too with the lid on for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.