A few days back I bought some fresh ‘Gurjali Mach’ from our local fish market. It was not very bomatig in size but very good in taste. ‘Gurjali’ is known as Indian Salmon. I never tasted salmon except in Fish Fry, so not very sure about the similarity in taste. I made some curry using onion-ginger-garlic-tomato paste. It was thick but light gravy. The fish was so fresh that I didn’t fried it much. Just sautéed for few seconds each side and cooked in the gravy. I also cook this fish in oven, that recipe I will share later. Till now enjoy ‘Gurjali Macher Rasha’ ……
- Wash and clean the fish pieces. Marinate the fishes with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp of turmeric powder. Keep aside for 10 min.
- Heat mustard oil in a non-stick pan. Lightly fry the fish pieces, they should not be browned. Remove the fish pieces and keep aside.
- In the same oil add onion paste. Fry till the onions become pink. Add ginger paste, garlic paste and tomato puree. Sauté till oil separates.
- Add the rest of the turmeric powder and red chillie powder and salt. Fry till oil separates from masala.
- Add the fishes and ½ cup of water. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Switch off the gas add green chillies and let it rest for few minutes. Serve hot with steamed rice.