This is a super easy recipe. Just have to make the paste…. Then fritters…. And the gravy! But care has to be taken while adding water as fritters absorbs water and size of the fritters also increases after absorbing water. The gravy is not runny but enough to coat the fritters. So this is how I made the ‘Daler Borar Jhal’……
- Soak Matar Dal (Yellow Split Peas) in water overnight or for 5-6 hours.
- In a grinder add the soaked lentils and make a smooth paste.
- Beat the lentil paste with your hand for 2-3 minutes till everything is well mixed up adding salt.
- Now add 2-3 tsp of oil in a non stick frying pan. Add a tablespoonful of lentil paste on the pan keeping space in between. Always keep the heat at medium-low. Once one side turns golden brown and crisp turn the other side. Make all the flitters in batches adding a little oil each time.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a kadai or wok. Add slitted green chillies.
- Next add turmeric powder, cumin powder and red chillie powder. Stir for few seconds and then add 1 cup water.
- When the water starts boiling add mustard seed paste.
- Adjust salt. Now add all the fritters. Keep this in mind that fritters absorb water so keep the gravy a little runny. Cook for 5-6 minutes in low heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.
~ if you wish you may add little ‘kalo jeere’ or nigella seeds with the lentil batter.