‘Shammi Kebab’ is one of the popular Mughlai dish made with minced meat, lentils and spices. These Kebabs (Shammi Kebab, Gelauti Kebab) are succulent, tasty and melt in the mouth. Now these ‘Vegetarian Shammi Kebabs’ do not melt in the mouth but they are equally delicious. There is another version of ‘Vegetarian Shammi Kebab’, which is popularly known as the ‘Chane Ke Kebab’. These kebabs are made with ‘kala chana’ or ‘chola’ (red Bengal gram) or ‘kabuli chana’ (Chickpea).
I make these ‘Vegetarian Shammi Kebabs’ usually with soya granules, some veggies with some boiled kala chana. You can use any vegetables of your choice. I have used cabbage, carrot, beans and green peas. The kebabs are packed with proteins from the soya granules and red Bengal gram and flavored with Indian masalas. Vegetarian Shammi Kebabs are excellent as starters and even you can make sandwiches, burgers and wraps with them. This can be a good tiffin or lunch box option too!
- Soak the black chickpeas in water overnight of for 6-7 hours. Drain and pressure cook the chickpeas with enough water and salt till they are cooked.
- Drain the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or blend them in a blender. Make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
- Blanch the Vegetables (I have used cabbage, carrot, beans and green peas) and squeeze excess water.
- Soak the soya granules in hot water for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze excess water.
- In a large mixing bowl mix all ingredients. Adjust salt.
- Make into small round shaped kebabs or patties.
- Shallow fry the kebabs in medium hot oil till crisp and browned on both sides.
- Serve Vegetarian Shammi Kebabs with salad and some green chutney.