Pointed gourd or ‘Potol’ is very commonly available vegetable in Indian market. Summer is the main season when there is abundance of ‘potol’ in the vegetable market. In most of the houses ‘potol’ is one of the most hated vegetables in the list. But with a little twist ‘potol’ can also be cooked in a different way! How about ‘Potoler Malaikari’?
It is as simple and similar as ‘Chingri Maacher Malaikari’. The only difference is instead of coconut milk I have used coconut paste. I have omitted onion and garlic so this one is a no onion no garlic recipe. And I have added some poppy seed paste too to make the gravy tastier. Let’s see how to make ‘Potoler Malaikari’.
- 8 – 10 Potol/Pointed Gourd
- 1” Cinnamon
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Clove
- 2 (Slitted) Green Chilli
- ½ Cup Milk
- ¼ cup Coconut Paste
- 2 Tbsps Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Tbsp Poppy Seed Paste
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- to taste Salt – According
- 4 Tbsps Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee or Clarified Butter
- Wash and clean the potols. Cut off the tips from both ends. Very lightly scrape the potols keeping the skins in alternative stripes. Rub a little salt on the potols and keep them aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat half of the oil in a kadai or wok and fry the potols till they turn light brown. Keep them aside.
- Temper the oil with cinnamon, green cardamom and clove.
- Now add ginger paste and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add poppy seed paste. Sauté it.
- Now add sugar, salt, red chilli powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder to the mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes in low flame until oil separates from the mixture. If required add 1-2 tsp. of water in between.
- Now add coconut paste and mix well.
- Add ¼ cup of water and ½ cup milk and green chillies and bring it to a boil.
- Finally add fried potols to the gravy and cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes in low flame till the gravy thicken to a medium consistency.
- Add garam masala powder and ghee to Potoler Malaikari and mix properly and give the dish a rest for 5 minutes with the lid on before serving.