Any baby carp is called ‘Chara Pona’ in Bengali. Earlier I have shared the recipe of ‘Chara Pona Macher Jhol’; which is a very light Bengali style baby fish stew with vegetables. Many of you may not like it because it was very light one. So yesterday when I visited the fish market I bought some very fresh Baby Katla Fish and thought of a recipe which is very good in taste but little spicier. This can be cooked with Baby Rohu as well. Since I cooked the ‘Jhol’ (the lighter one) with Baby Rohu Fish so this time decided to cook with Baby Katla Fish. These are very fresh and sweet in taste as well. Let’s see the process of making this ‘Chara Pona Macher Jhal’…
- Marinate the fish pieces with ½ tsp turmeric powder and salt for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Slowly slide the fishes in the oil and lightly fry the fishes. Keep them aside.
- Add more oil in the pan if required and add panch foran and green chillies.
- When the panch foran starts to splutter add ginger paste and tomato puree. Fry the masala till oil starts releasing from sides.
- Add coriander powder, red chillie powder, turmeric powder in the masala. Add 2-3 tsp of water it will prevent the masala from burning.
- After the raw smell of masalas goes off add ½ cup water.
- When the water starts boiling add the fried fish. Adjust salt and cover.
- After 3-4 minutes remove the cover and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Chara Pona Macher Jhal is ready to be served with steamed rice.