I bought some very fresh ‘Bata Mach’ from our local fish market. In monsoon varieties of small fresh water fish are available in market. These fish are very sweet in taste though is a little difficult to debone them while eating. I have already posted two recipes of ‘Bata Macher Jhal‘ which is a fish curry with mustard base. This recipe is quite similar to the previous one except few more spices are used and as the name represents it is little oily and spicy! On rainy days when you like to cook something a little spicy try this ‘Bata Macher Tel-Jhal’……
- Clean the fish thoroughly and marinate with salt and turmeric powder for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry fish till light brown on both sides.
- After removing the fried fish add panch foran and green chillies in the remaining oil.
- Now add a little water about 3-4 tsp cup. Add cumin powder and mustard paste. Mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, red chillie powder and ½ cup water.
- When the gravy starts to boil add the fried fish and salt as required.
- Cook for 5 minutes. When oil starts separating remove from flame and serve with steamed rice.