In our family we always like to eat seasonal fruits and vegetables. During summer we find vegetables more with water contents which helps us to keep our body rehydrated. I often make different dishes with ‘potol’ or pointed gourd. This ‘Potol dea Macher Jhal’ or Fish Curry with Pointed Gourd is one of them. It is a very light fish curry ideal for summer. Personally I do not like eating potato so where it can be avoided I do not use potato. If you wish you can cook the same curry with pointed gourd and potato. Here is the recipe which I often cook in summer days….
- Wash and clean fish pieces. Marinate the fish with 1tsp of turmeric powder and little salt for 15 minutes.
- Scrap the pointed gourds. Slit them into halves lengthwise then cut each piece diagonally into half inch thick pieces.
- Heat 5-6 Tbsp of mustard oil in a wok or kadai and shallow fry the fish till golden brown on both sides. Remove and keep aside.
- Add more oil to the pan. Once oil is hot add pointed gourd. Sauté them sprinkling a little salt till light brown. Keep them aside.
- Add oil in the kadai (if required) in the same pan and add nigella seeds. Stir for few seconds, then add slitted green chillies.
- Add 1 cup water and then add mustard seed paste. When the water starts boiling add turmeric powder, red chillie powder.
- Now add fried pointed gourd. Adjust salt. Cover and cook till the pointed gourd is almost done.
- Remove the cover and add the fish pieces.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.