‘Lasooni Dal Tadka’ is an easy way of cooking ‘Dal Tadka’ with additional flavors of garlic in it as ‘chaunk’ or tempering. The ‘Lasooni Dal’ is made from Arhar Dal or Tuvar Dal (Pigeon Pea) lentils. Normally I cook ‘arhar dal’ with tempering of asafetida. But for a change tried a new version of it and it came out so well! The ‘dal’ has been tempered two times, first with other spices and masalas and finally with ghee and chopped garlic. If you like flavour of garlic then this is the best ‘dal’ recipe for you.
For cooking the dal:
For tempering the dal:
- Wash arhar dal and soak for 10 minutes. Now cook the dal in pressure cooker adding turmeric powder a little salt with 2 cups of water.
- Let the pressure release of its own. Then mash the dal a little with the back of a spoop.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok. Splutter the cumin first. Then add asafetida and ginger paste and cumin powder. Fry for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the dal. Adjust salt and sugar. Mix well. Add water if required. Let it simmer.
- Meanwhile take another small pan heat the ghee or clarified butter. Add chopped garlic. Sauté the garlic for some seconds till it becomes light brown. Add the whole red chillie and a pinch of cumin seeds.
- Switch off the flame and pour the entire tempering on the dal.
- Switch off the gas. Cover and let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Lasooni Dal Tadka hot, with steamed basmati rice or rotis or jeera rice.