‘Paneer Butter Masala’ or ‘Paneer Makhani/Makhni’ is a popular vegetarian dish of Northern Indian. The goodness of fresh paneer when cooked in ‘makhni’ gravy with loads of butter it gives a heavenly flavour to the curry. It is not everyday meal curry but for a special occasion you can always make this sumptuous rich curry. I served it with ‘Whole Wheat Garlic Naan’. You can serve with any other Indian flat bread or some vegetable pulao….
For Makhani Gravy:
- Cut the paneer in small cubes.
- Soak melon seeds and cashew in warm water and keep them aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp butter and 2 tsp oil in a non stick pan. Lightly fry the paneer pieces in oil and then soak them in warm water for sometimes adding a little salt.
- In the same non stick pan add more oil. Add cardamom, cloves & cinnamon sauté for a minute add onion paste and sauté till golden brown.
- Add green chillies, ginger paste and garlic paste, sauté till the raw smell goes off.
- Then add chopped tomato, cook in slow flame and keep on stirring continuously.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and dry fenugreek or kasuri methi. Cook for another few minutes and the gravy is ready. Let it cool for sometimes.
- Now make a paste of soaked melon seeds and cashews. In the same blender add the cooked gravy. Make a smooth paste.
- In the same pan pour the gravy from the mixer jar. Now add sugar and kashmiri red chillie powder. Mix well.
- Add 2-3 tsp of cream. Stir and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes or till butter starts leaving from sides. Add water or milk to the gravy as per your required consistency. Try to keep it thick.
- Add fried and soaked paneer pieces. Adjust salt and allow it to cook for 5 minutes in low flames with the lid on. Add garam masala powder and garnish with chopped coriander and some more fresh cream. Serve hot with Butter Naan or No Yeast Garlic Naan.