‘Mango Rice Kheer’ (Indian Style Mango Rice Pudding), a super delicious dessert if you are looking for a little different Indian desserts. ‘Payesh’ or ‘Rice Kheer’ is a classic Bengali dessert which is usually severed during many special occasions like first rice ceremony, birthday, marriages, etc. It is also very easy to make but needs a little patience with just a couple of ingredients.
This ‘Mango Rice Kheer’ is a ‘Rice Kheer’ meets mango version though with a little twist. Instead of rice, rice flour has been used to make a smooth texture. I do not like all varieties of mangoes. I like sweet flavour of ‘Himsagar’ and wanted only use this variety of mango for this recipe. Without much effort and use of variety of ingredients, here is a simple recipe of ‘Mango Rice Kheer!
- First add the milk to a heavy bottomed pan. Start boiling it in a medium-low heat.
- While the milk is boiling, grind the rice coarsely in a grinder.
- Stir the milk continuously and reduce it to 2/3 of its volume.
- Add the rice flour, saffron to the milk and cook for another 5-7 minutes in low heat.
- Now add the cardamom powder to the milk mixture.
- Finally, add the sugar to the milk, mix well until dissolved. Boil again for another 5 minutes and stir continuously.
- Add the mango puree and chopped almond to the mixture and remove from heat immediately.
- Let it cool completely. Serve cold or in room temperature with chopped mango, almonds and pistachio.
~Do adjust the quantity of sugar as per taste preference and sweetness of the mango.
~ You can use Mango puree from a can for this recipe.
~ Do not boil the milk after adding mango puree else the milk will curdle.