‘Barfi’ is a dense milk based sweet from Northern India where the milk is boiled with sugar for long hours unless it becomes semi-solid consistency. There are different other types of ‘Barfi’ too like ‘besan barfi’ (made with gram flour), ‘kaaju barfi’ (made with cashews), ‘pista barfi’ (made with ground pistachios), ‘coconut barfi’ (made with desiccated coconut), ‘chocolate barfi’ (made with cocoa powder) etc. The flavor of a ‘barfi’ is often enhanced adding dry fruits such as cashew, pistachio, almond, raisin etc. and spices such as cardamom or rose water. Normally they are cut into squares or into diamond shapes.
I already have shared ‘Mango Sandesh’ recipe and will be sending some more variation in future too. Other than this ‘Sandesh’ recipe I have shared some mango dishes like ‘Amrakhand or Mango Shrikhand’, ‘Mango Lassi’, ‘Mango Rice Kheer’ and our all time favourite ‘Mango Kulfi’. So I was thinking what could be made with an ease! And found some ‘Khoya Kheer’ in my freezer and instantly thought of making some ‘Mango Barfi’. This is very easy recipe and can be made quickly. Try this easy and tasty recipe at home…
- Take 1 cup homemade chenna. Add 2 tsp sugar and mash with hands until smooth.
- In a pan take pulp of a sweet mango and 1 tsp sugar & cook it until thick. Check the sweetness of mango. Add more sugar according to your taste bud.
- Heat the chena mixture on a nonstick pan on medium flame. Cook for some time.
- Add khoya and mango mix and stir until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Keep stirring all the time. Add green cardamom powder. If you see that the mixture is coming to a binding texture add 1-2 tsp of milk powder.
- Grease a plate with a little ghee. Flatten the mixture and leave it for sometimes to come into room temperature. Refrigerate it for few hours.
- Cut it in squares or diamond and garnish with chopped pistachio.
- Mango Barfi is ready to be served.