Today when I visited the fish market I found very good quality of ‘Tangra Fish’ in the market and most of them are full of eggs. I immediately grabbed some. Initially I was thinking to prepare only ‘Shorshe Tangra‘ with Mustard paste which my Mom usually makes at my home but while checking my fridge for veggies to make another side dish I found a bunch of fresh green spring onion and changed the plan for making something different. So I made two most loved recipes with this fish …. ‘Tangra Macher Rasha’ and ‘Shorshe Tangra’.
This ‘Tangra Fish’ is available in small and big sizes. I have used here the medium sized. There are quite a few delicacies in Bengali cuisine to cook this fish with vegetables or without vegetables. I do not know if vegetables are cooked along with fish in other states of India or not, but in Bengal we certainly love using vegetables specially potato in our fish curry. I personally don’t like potato with fish so I have tried something else. You can always cook with potato too.
‘Rosha’ is a method of cooking fish where fish is cooked with extensive use of oil along with other regular spices. In this version I tried to use minimum oil, still it tasted awesome; you have to try it to believe me.
- Wash and clean the fishes. Marinate the fishes with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp of turmeric powder. Keep aside for 10 min.
- Heat mustard oil in a non-stick pan. When the oil and starts to smoke, slowly slide the fishes 2-3 in each batches. Keep the flame on the medium. Cover immediately.
- Turn each of the fishes very carefully after around 1-2 mins. Both the sides should be lightly browned. Remove the fishes and keep aside.
- In the same oil add onion paste. Fry till the onions become soft.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and tomato puree.
- Add the rest of the turmeric powder and red chillie powder and salt. Fry till oil separates from masala.
- Next add spring onion and green chillies and keep on stirring continuously for couple of minutes.
- Add the fishes and ½ cup of warm water. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Switch off the gas and let it rest for few minutes. Sprinkle some chopped coriander and serve hot with steamed rice.