As I have mentioned in my previous post of ‘Tangra Macher Rasha’, I will be making another dish with ‘Tangra Mach’, here is the recipe with mustard seed paste. This is a very simple and traditional recipe with fish. Bengalis are known for their love for cooking fish with mustard seed and mustard oil. I have used some chopped garlic to add different flavor you may discard using the same. So here goes the recipe ….
- Wash the fish and marinate with ½ tsp turmeric powder and ½ tsp salt for 10 minutes.
- Heat mustard oil in a non-stick pan. When the oil is really hot slowly slide the fishes. Fry 2-3 fishes in each batche. Cover and keep the heat on medium.
- Turn each of the fishes very carefully. After frying both sides should be medium brown.
- In the same oil, add chopped garlic. Fry till the garlic becomes golden.
- Add slitted green chillies. Stir for few seconds then add ½ cup water.
- Add mustard paste and mix well.
- Add the rest of the turmeric powder and red chillie powder and salt.
- Add the fishes and more water if required and cover it to cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Switch off the gas and drizzle 1 tsp of mustard oil and give it a standing time for few minutes with the lid on.
- Serve with steamed rice.