‘Chingri Mach’ is my one of the favourite ingredients that I cook quite often. Since I am a ‘Ghoti’, I have extra soft corner for this wonder and tasty ingredient. I have shared many recipes with shrimps and will be sharing some more in future too. This recipe is one of them. ‘Chingri Mach dea Jhinge-Aloor Jhal’ is the most favourite recipe of mine other than ‘Chingri Macher Bati Chorchori’ or ‘Chingrimach dea Kochur Dom‘ or ‘Chingri Aloo-Potoler Dalna’ or ‘Chingri Aloo-Fulkopir Dalna’. I love this dish because of its simplicity and taste. This one is a special recipe of Maa. I still remember when I was in school, while returning from school Maa used to serve this dish with some hot freshly made roti/fulka. Yes, I like to have this with roti so we mostly make it at dinner but it is equally good with steamed rice too.
Sometimes when I don’t like to cook at all I prefer to cook this dish and have it with rice in lunch too. The sweet flavour of ‘Jhinge’ (ridge gourd) with shrimps gives very good taste to this flavourful ruuny gravy. Goodness of this preparation is all the ingredients used in this recipe are easily available and whenever you don’t have much time to cook but tantalize your taste bud, make this quick recipe.
- Clean the shrimps very carefully and wash them. Smear ½ tsp turmeric and salt to the shrimp and keep them aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp mustard oil in a Kadai/Pan and shallow fry the shrimps. Keep them aside.
- Add more oil now add the onion and chopped garlic. Sauté for couple of minutes.
- Add the potato, turmeric powder, and red chillie powder. Adjust salt. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix well and add ½ cup of water or just to cover the potatoes to cook.
- Add ridge gourd and chopped tomato. Sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add water just to cover the vegetables. Mix in mustard paste. Cover and cook till potatoes and ridge gourds are almost cooked.
- Add fried shrimps, garlic pods and green chillies and cook till the vegetables are cooked.
- Remove cover drizzle some more mustard oil.
- Turn off the heat and add some chopped coriander and serve hot with Steamed Rice or Roti.
~ Ridge gourd releases water. So add water accordingly. The gravy should be a little runny.
~ You can avoid using the garlic pods. Since I like the flavour of garlic I use few garlic pods other than chopped garlic.