I love ‘paneer’ (Indian cottage cheese)! Any preparation of it actually! It is easy to cook and easy to digest too. After some ‘Bhapa’ dishes made with fish (Bhapa Shorshe Ilish, Bhapa Rui, Bhapa Doi Rui, Bhapa Chingri) it is the time to make ‘Bhapa Paneer’. Now ‘paneer’ is not so much accepted ingredients in Bong kitchen as ‘Chana’ There are many families till date who do not like to eat ‘paneer’ at all. But thankfully in my family we all love ‘paneer’. So I often make this dish in lunch and serve with steamed rice. Tal his is a very easy and quick recipe. Try this recipe when you are in real hurry and want to quick fix your lunch or dinner…
- Soak mustard seeds, poppy seeds lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes. Make a fine paste of the same adding 3 green chillies.
- Take a stainless steel tiffin box. Mix in yogurt, sugar, salt and mustard- poppy seed paste.
- Put in the cubed paneer pieces and mix with the masala very well.
- Drizzle 1 tsp of mustard oil and sprinkle 2-3 chopped chillies. Let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes close the lid of the tiffin box/container. The lid must be very tight.
- Put the container in the pressure cooker. Pour water till half of the container. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook till 1 whistle.
- Let the pressure release of its own. Put the lid off. Take out the container, garnish with chopped coriander and serve ‘Bhapa Paneer’ with steamed rice.
~ I like my ‘Bhapa Paneer’ to be white in colour, so I use white mustard seed. You can use black mustard seed as well.
~ The lid of the stainless tiffin box must be very tight.
~ Add green chillies as per your taste.
~ You can avoid using any oil. But like the pungent flavour of mustard oil with mustard paste so I use 1 tsp of it.