It is not like that I like ‘Kankrol’ or teasel gourd very much. Rather I avoid having this vegetable only Maa when makes some stir fried kankrol with mustard seed and curry patta with dal and rice I like to have some. But seeing one post in some cooking show in television I thought of making some ‘Chop’ (fritter) with ‘kankrol’. That recipe was completely different than this one. That was a veg recipe and the batter use was made up of rice flour, all purpose flour and cornflour. But I made the batter with ‘besan’ (gram flour) and stuffing with some shrimp. I make another version of it with chicken keema (minced), that I’ll share later.
This ‘Purbhora Kankroler Chop’ was very tasty tough I feel teasel gourd itself is very tasteless vegetable! While buying ‘kankrol’ for making this ‘chop’ select young and fresh one with green skin and small in size so that the outer layer would be soft and thin. The batter must be a little thicker than usual ‘Besan Pakora’ batter. Here is the recipe ….
For making the stuffing:
- 4 Kankrol or Teasel Gourd
- 12 – 15 Shrimps
- ¼ cup Onion – (Chopped)
- ½ tsp Ginger Paste
- ½ cup Grated Coconut
- ¼ tsp Cumin Powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 (Finely chopped) Green Chilly
- Sugar – A little
- 1 tsp Oil – + For deep frying
- To taste Salt
- ½ cup Besan or Gram Flour
- 1 Tbsp Rice Powder
- 1 pinch Baking Soda – fat
- ½ tsp Red Chillie Powder
- Wash the kankrol or teasel gourd and pat dry. Cut them lengthwise in halves. Par boil them adding a little water for few minutes.
- Clean the shrimps. Devain them and chop them in tiny pieces.
- Scoop out the seeds and some flesh and keep aside. We’ll use these seeds and flesh in making the stuffing.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a non stick pan and add the chopped onion and ginger paste. Fry them till become translucent.
- Add chopped shrimps. Sauté for few minutes.
- Now add the boiled seeds and flesh of teasel gourd. Chop them or pound them before adding.
- Add a little sugar and ¼ tsp cumin powder. Fry well.
- Next add grated coconut and mix very well.
- Adjust salt. Add garam masala powder and chopped green chillies. Fry till all masala mixes well with all ingredients.
- Transfer the stuffing in a bowl and let it cool for sometimes.
- Meanwhile mix all the ingredients mentioned under for batter except salt. The batter should be very thick. Mix salt just before frying.
- Take a spoonful of this mixture and stuff the boiled halves of the teasel gourd. Make sure to fill the whole cavity tightly.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok. Pour some batter on the stuffed halves of the gourds to cover the entire surface (only the stuffing side). Carefully place in the oil, cut side/batter side down. Fry on medium till golden on all sides.
- Serve with tomato sauce and kasundi.