I made some consecutive psts on Ilish Mach (Hilsa Fish), so thought of sharing some completely different post with prawn. I was busy with some other engagements in my family so could not find time to prepare something which I can share with you, except for this recipe & few more (which I shall try to post soon).
Yesterday Baba bought some very fresh tiger prawns from fish market (thought I’m saying prawn but actually those are smaller than prawns but bigger than shrimps). Initially I thought of making some ‘Chingri Macher Bati Chorchori’ but when I found some ‘gati kochu’ (colocasia) in my kitchen I changed my mind and made some ‘Chingri Mach dea Kochur Dom’.
It is some how very similar to our very own ‘Bangali Aloor Dom’, the only difference is usage of shrimp and ‘kochu’ (taro/colocasia), else other spices are almost same. So tweaking the ‘Niramish Aloor Dum’ recipe with these small colocasia tubes here is Chingri Mach dea Kochur Dom (Colocasia Curry with Shrimp). Hope you will like it ….
- Scrape the kochu (colocasia), then cut them in big chunks. Do not wash them after cutting else you’ll find that those are becoming very slippery as some sticky juices comes out after you scrap the kochu. Cut the potato into big pices, Chop tomatoes.
- Smear some turmeric and salt with the shrimp. In the same oil fry the shrimps.
- Heat oil in kadai. Fry the kochu and aloo pieces. Take out from oil and keep them aside.
- In the same oil lightly fry the shrimps and keep them aside.
- In the same oil the bay leaves & dry whole chillie.
- Add ginger paste and chopped tomato. Sauté for few minutes.
- Add the fried kochu and potatoto. Mix well.
- Add all the masala powders (except the garam masala), salt, sugar & sauté for 4-5mins on medium flame.
- Add enough water, depending upon the tenderness of kochu/colocasia & amount to gravy you want. Cover the kadai & cook on low flame (if the colocasia tubes are not tender enough).
- After7-8minutes, uncover the kadai & add the fried shrimps. Cook on high flame until you get the desired amount of gravy.
- Add garam masala powder & 1 tsp of ghee. Sauté for 10-12sec on low heat.
- Turn off the heat and serve with steamed rice.