This is yet another very easy recipe of Maa…. ‘Sabji dea Ilisher Jhol’ (Hisla Fish Curry with Veggies). We Bengalis are food lovers and we can’t think about Monsoon without ‘Ilish Mach’. ‘Bhapa Shorshe Ilish’ (Steamed Hilsha in Mustard Gravy), ‘Ilish er Tok’ (Condiment with Hilsha), ‘Shorshe-Ilisher Jhal’ (Hilsha in Mustard Paste), ‘Doi Ilish’ (Hilsha with Yogurt), ‘Narkel-Shorshe Bhapa Ilish’ (Steamed Hilsha with Coconut and Mustard Paste), ‘Anarosh Ilish’ (Hilsha with Pineapple), ‘Ilish Begun’ (Hilsha with Eggplant), ‘Ilisher Tel Jhol’ (Hilsha in Oily Gravy), ‘Kumropatae Ilish’ (Hilsha in Pumpkin Leaf) is some of the common preparation cooked in every Bong Kitchen. We also relish the fish oil (Ilish Macher Tel) and ‘Ilish Macher Dim Bhaja’ (Fried Hilsha Fish Egg). Illish Macher Matha dea Chanchra (Mixed Veg and Malabar Spinach Mishmash with Hilsha Fish Head) is another delicacy from Bong kitchen.
Today am sharing a very light Hilsha Fish Curry with vegetables like eggplant, potato and colocasia (kochu). Maa cooks it so nicely. Today I cooked it and it was so nice. The flavour of Hilsha when mixed with mustard oil and green chillies, gives a very nice falavour. Here the fish is cooked raw with the fried vegetables. If you wish you can lightly fry the fish. But for this preparation the fish must be very very fresh. So here is the recipe of ‘Ilisher Jhol’ or ‘Sabji dea Ilisher Jhol’……
- 4 Ilish Mach or Hilsha Fish – pieces
- 1 Potato – Medium (Cut into four pieces length wise)
- 4 Eggplant – pieces (2” long thick pieces)
- 2 (Cut into halves) Kochu or Colocasia
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Chillie Powder – (Optional)
- ½ tsp Cumin Powde r
- 1 tsp Mustard Paste
- 2 – 3 Tbsps Mustard Oil
- ¼ tsp Kalo Jeera or Nigella Seeds
- 2 Green Chillie
- To taste Salt
- Marinate the fish pieces with ½ tsp of turmeric and a little salt.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai and lightly sauté all the vegetables separately and keep them aside.
- Put 1 tsp oil in the pan and temper the oil with nigella seeds and green chillies. Add 1 cup of water and let it boil.
- When the water starts boiling add fried potato and colocasia.
- Add mustard paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder and red chillie powder. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add marinated fish pieces. Adjust salt. Cover and cook till fish and vegetables are almost done.
- When the veggies are almost done add fried eggplant and 1 tsp of mustard oil.
- Let it boil for another 1-2 minutes and then serve with hot steamed rice.