Bengalis mostly like to have ‘macher dim’ as ‘Macher Dimer Bora’. Today I’ll share a very old recipe of from Bong Kitchen i.e. ‘Macher Dimer Jhuri’. It is a delicacy in many Bengali households. We Bengali’s love to eat each and every part of fish. Though I made it with Rui Fish egg but trust me Illish/ Hilsha fish egg will take it to another level. Since you will find Illish Mach in this season you can always try with Illish Macher Dim (Hilsa Fish Roe).
The literal meaning of ‘Macher Dimer Jhuri’ a is Roe Crumble, but it’s not the high end caviar found in Caspian Sea that I am referring to. That one is for the Dollar Millionaires who enjoy it with champagne. This one is the humble and affordable dish. Freshwater fishes like Rohu, Carp, Hilsa etc. mainly breed during the monsoon time so it’s better that before monsoon disappears try to buy fishes with eggs. It’s a delicacy during any Bengali home during this period. Generally enjoyed with piping hot steamed rice.
- Marinate the fish eggs with salt and turmeric powder for 15 min.
- Heat oil till it smokes. Add ginger paste, garlic paste. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes translucent.
- Add the eggs and sauté breaking it into tiny pieces. Crisp-fry the eggs on a medium flame.
- Add chopped green chillies and chillie powder.
- If you feel that it is becoming too dry you can add 2-3 tsp water.
- Sprinkle lemon juice, garam masala powder and chopped coriander.
- Remove in a bowl and serve with steamed rice.