‘Bread Bhurji’ is one of my favourite breakfast options. It is similar to ‘Bread Upma’. The only difference is in ‘Bread Bhurji’ I use eggs where as ‘Bread Upma’ is made without egg and tempered with mustard seeds and curry leaves. ‘Bread Bhurji’ is one of the easy making breakfast options with very little hassle involved in preparation. When I am not in a mood to cook and feel lazy, I conjure this up to save myself from the pain of cooking for hours and it turns out delicious and mouth-watering every time with so little labour gone into it.
Like me sometimes you may feel little lethargic of cooking anything very elaborate but still want to have a wholesome meal. ‘Bread Bhurji’ can be your handy option for packed lunch for school and office and for brunch too. It is a complete meal with a combination of carbohydrate, protein and vegetables.
I still can remember my school days when Maa used to make this for our tiffin in school and sometimes for our evening snack too. Yes …. This could be an option for evening snack too… I have used eggs in this recipe but those who don’t eat eggs can use crumbled paneer too.
- First remove the crusts from the sides of the breads and then cut them or tear them into tiny pieces.
- Heat the oil in a wok or kadai and fry the eggs/paneer and keep them aside.
- Put some more oil in the pan and fry the onions till they turn golden in color. Add chopped vegetables and sauté till they become soft.
- Add the bread pieces. Add fried egg/paneer. Toss the bread pieces and mix them well with the mixture.
- Next add chopped green chillies, coriander leaves, pepper and salt.
- Now add tomato ketchup on top of the mixture and stir well till all the ingredients blend with each other nicely.
- The dish is now ready for serving. Stir on low heat only for few more seconds and serve hot.
~ Those who do not consume egg can substitute with paneer.