If the word ‘fish eggs’ makes you think of those shiny red pearls called ‘caviar’ then you are wrong! The fish eggs that makes us salivate is the common sweet water fish eggs mostly ‘Rohu’ or ‘Carp’. These are the unprocessed, basic egg that comes right out of the fish without any kind of curing. The golden coloured ‘Macher Dimer Bora’ (Fish Egg Fritter) is loved by all with steamed rice and some ‘Peyaj dea Musur Dal’ with a dash of lemon.
These sweet water fish eggs are easily available and affordable by all. Previously it used to be available only during monsoon but now a days it is available almost throughout the year. Go to any fish market and you will get many varieties of fresh fish with eggs in them. Monsoon is the time when they hatch and for this reason in many communities ‘Shravan Mash’ is observed as the month when only pure vegetarian food is eaten. I know some of my relatives who do not eat fish or meat during this period. I’ll be posting some more recipes like ‘Macher Dimer Jhuri’ and ‘Macher Dimer Borar Dalna’ very soon. This is a very easy recipe which can also be served as a snack with tea.
- Wash the fish raw under running water. Drain all the water and place in a big bowl.
- Very finely chop the onion and chillies. You can add chopped coriander too.
- Place these in the bowl with the eggs. Add salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, chickpea flour and baking soda.
- Use your hand to get a homogenous mixture. The batter would be thick so please adjust the amount of chickpea flour. Add salt before frying the fritters.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and place a spoon full of this mixture little apart from each other.
- Fry on low for a minute and then turn. Cover the pan while frying the fritters.
- Fry till golden on all sides. Drain and soak the excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with rice and ‘Peyaj dea Masoor Dal’ or as a tea-time snack with tomato ketchup.
~ The final mixture would be like thick cake batter. Depending on the freshness of the fish eggs adjust the amount of chickpea flour.
~ Add salt before frying the fritters.
~ While mixing do not squish the eggs rather mix gently to separate the eggs from the thin membrane and mix with other ingredients.