‘Egg Tadka’ probably the most popular choice amongst all Punjabi food in Bengal! It is the most common choice of most of us. I often cook ‘Tadka’ at home be it ‘Chicken Tadka – Dhaba Style’, ‘Egg Tadka’ or ‘Dhaba Style Fried Egg Tadka’. These recipes are very easy to cook and yummy in taste. I like to use Kali Dal or Whole Black Gram to cook ‘Tadka’ but it can always be substituted with Whole Green Moong Beans. Very few uses Kali Dal for tadka, most people use Whole Green Moong Bean. Taste wise these two differs a little. You can use either of these according to your choice.
In this recipe I do not fry egg separately to add in tadka. So I add beaten egg while the Tadka is cooking. And mixing with the dal the egg gives a very nice texture. In other version of this tarka (Dhaba Style Fried Egg Tadka) I use fried egg. I’ll be sharing that recipe too. You can cook Egg Tadka following either of the recipes or many following both the recipe like I do!
- Soak kali dal for atleast six hours, preferably overnight in sufficient water. Next day drain and pressure cook adding 2 cups of water with 1 tsp salt till completely cooked and soft. Let the pressure release of its own. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep heavy bottomed pan or kadai. Add cumin seeds and once they start to sputter add bay leaf and dry whole red chillie.
- Next add onion paste when it turns pink add chopped onion and fry till they turns translucent and soft.
- Next add ginger paste and garlic paste. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomato and fry till oil separates.
- Next add all the dry masalas except garam masala and kasuri methi. If required add 1 tsp oil. Fry the masala very well.
- Add the boiled lentil. Bring it to boil.
- Add kasuri methi rubbing between your palms. Let it simmer on low for 5 minutes. If required add some water.
- Beat the eggs lightly adding a little salt. Now pour the beaten egg on the dal and mix with a light hand. Stir continuously. You’ll see that the egg will turn white while mixing with the dal.
- Cook for another 7-8 minutes.
- Adjust salt. Add chopped coriander, garam masala powder and ghee. Mix well. ‘Egg Tadka’ is ready to be served with roti/fulka or tandori roti or naan.