‘Zafrani Murgh’ is my Maa’s special recipe. Needless to say that I have learned it from her! The goodness about this recipe is it is very easy and a very tasty recipe can be cooked with an ease. Last Sunday one of Baba’s childhood friends came with his family for dinner. It is very hot and humid here so was thinking what could be cooked which will be a little different, tasty at the same time can be cooked easily. So I cooked ‘Zafrai Murgh’ and ‘Shahi Moti Pulao’.
The goodness about this chicken curry is it very light but at the same time it is very tasty. It is cooked in pressure cooker so the juicy, succulent chicken pieces just melts in your mouth.
- Clean the chicken pieces and put them in a bowl. Now marinate the chicken pieces mentioned under for marination for 3-4 hours.
- Take a wok and heat oil. Now put in red while chillie and sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion. Fry till it turns golden in colour.
- Now put in the marinated chicken. Mix well. Sauté for 10-15 minutes.
- Beat the yogurt with sugar and put in mixture to the chicken.
- Adjust salt. 1 tsp of salt already been added in marination so adjust salt accordingly. When oil starts releasing from the sides add water.
- Put the whole thing in a pressure cooker and cook it for 5-6 minutes on high flame. Switch off the gas and let the pressure release of it’s own.
- When the pressure gets released add Kesar soaked Keora water and 1 tsp of Ghee. Mix well and serve with any Naan or Peas Pulao or Shahi Moti Pulao.
~ Traditionally this recipe is to be cooked in ghee (clarified butter) but I prefer to cook in vegetable oil and drizzle 1 tsp of ghee on the top while serving.
~ The thigh piece and leg piece is very juicy so I prefer to use these pieces but any piece can be used.
~ Do not overcook the chicken; else you’ll end up with a messy and gooey texture of the gravy. The gravy should be very light in texture.