‘Chingri Macher Bati Chorchori’ is one of our favourite recipes. I love this recipe the most in all Prawn recipes not only because it takes least time to cook but also at the same time the taste is divine! And whenever you don’t have much time to cook but want to tantalise your taste bud, make this quick recipe. For the simplicity of this recipe, I call this as ‘Bachelor’s Recipe’. This dish goes best with Steamed Rice as well as with roti. Small fresh Shrimps with shells are the best for this recipe.
‘Chingri or Shrimp Bati Chorchori’ is a traditional Bengali recipe. This is a very easy recipe to make, but tastes awesome. This recipe needs very minimal ingredients and cooks in 15-20 minutes. In this recipe Shrimp/Chingri takes the main part. Traditionally to make any ‘Bati Chorchori’ recipe all ingredients are put in a Bowl which is called ‘Bati’ in Bengali, and then cooked covered on low flame so that the flavours of the different ingredients are nicely blended and give a delicious taste to the dish. And Mustard Oil is the key ingredient of this fish recipe.
In this recipe the bowl should be aluminum bowl ideally, and it may be replaced by medium size saucepan or kadai (I cook it in aluminum kadai). But don’t get disheartened ….. this dish can be cooked in your regular non stick pan too. So here goes the recipe…
- 20 to 30 Small Shrimps – pieces
- 1 Potato – large (Cut into medium strips lengthwise)
- 1 (Thin sliced) Onion
- 1 Tbsp Mustard Pate
- 3 – 4 Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic – (chopped)
- To taste Salt
- 4 Tbsps Mustard Oil
- Clean the shrimps very carefully and wash them. Smear ½ tsp turmeric and salt to the shrimp and keep them aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp mustard oil in a Kadai/Pan and shallow fry the shrimps. Keep them aside.
- Add more oil if required, now add the onion and garlic. Sauté for couple of minutes.
- Add the potato, turmeric powder, red chillie powder, salt. Mix well and add ½ cup of water or just to cover the potatoes to cook.
- Add mustard paste. Cover and cook till potatoes are almost cooked.
- Add fried shrimps and green chillies and cook till the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove cover drizzle some more mustard oil.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot the Chingrir Bati Chorchori with Steamed Rice.