There is no fixed recipe of ‘Dum Aloo’. ‘Dum Aloo’ takes on different flavours as it travels from state to state throughout India. In Bengal, it is known as ‘Niramish Aloor Dum‘ (Bengali Style Dum Aloo) is said to be lightly spiced with ginger and tomato. Whereas ‘Kashmiri Dum Alu’ is made using yogurt, melon seeds and cashew paste and is sweet in taste. ‘Laknawi Style Dum Aloo’ has centre filled with paneer stuffing and later dunked into spicy gravy. Today I am sharing ‘Chatpata Dum Aloo’ which has close resemblance with ‘Punjabi Dum Aloo’.
In my childhood ‘Luchi’ and ‘Niramish Aloor Dum’ or ‘Hing dea Aloor Dum‘ used to be a Sunday breakfast at our home. It always brings out my school days memories of Sundays. I make Dum Aloo in different ways. Here is the onion-tomato-yogurt version. The ‘Chatpata Dum Aloo’ recipe is pretty much like the way Dum Aloos are made. I have used baby potatoes here. You can use regular potatoes also.
- Rinse the baby potatoes. Halve or quarter them if big in size or keep them whole.
- Parboil the potatoes in a steamer or pressure cooker and peel the potatoes first till they are almost cooked. Sauté the baby potatoes in mustard oil till lightly browned.
- Grind the soaked cashew and char magaj (melon seed) to a smooth paste. Also blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree.
- Dry roast 1 tsp cumin seed and crush them with the help of a mortar-pestle.
- Heat oil add asafetida, dry red chilli and bay leaf and fry till the oil becomes fragrant and then add the onion and ginger paste.
- On a low flame fry the paste till it becomes golden brown and the oil separates. This takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree to the browned paste and stir.
- After 3-4 minutes, add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder one by one.
- Now add the cashew paste, char magaj paste and yogurt. Add Sugar adjust salt.
- Again fry the masala paste till the oil separates. This takes about 5-6minutes.
- Now add approx 1 to 1.5 cups of water. Bring the gravy to a boil.
- Add fried potatoes and simmer for some 4-5 minutes till the gravy thickens.
- Lastly add garam masala powder and roasted cumin powder.
- Garnish Chatpata Dum Aloo with some chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis or parathas.