This ‘Bhapa Rui’ (Steamed Rohu) is a super simple and super easy tasty recipe from my Maa’s kitchen. We cook this quite often as it takes very less time and results to an awesome tasty fish curry. This requires very few ingredients to cook and most importantly can be cooked without oil too. I have added 1 tsp of oil in the dish but you can always avoid it. The pungent aroma of mustard oil gives a nice kick to the gravy.
It is important to marinate the raw fish with lemon juice and turmeric powder and later wash it off before marinate it with mustard-poppy seed paste, as lemon juice help in tendering the fish as well as drains out its raw smell. I have made this with Rohu Fish as it has a distinct sweet flavor. You can cook this with Bhetki or Salmon too. Serve it with steamed rice and it is an absolute bliss!
- Wash the fish pieces and smear turmeric powder, 2 tsp lemon juice and some salt. Let it marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- In the mean time prepare the mustard paste with 2 green chillies and a little salt. And also the poppy seed paste.
- In a tight steel container mix in the mustard paste and poppy seed paste with a little salt, sugar and ¼ cup of water.
- Wash the fish pieces and put them in the tiffin box. Marinate the fish pieces with the mustard-poppy seed paste and keep it for 10-15 minutes.
- If you wish you can add a little red chillie powder but I like my steamed fish with yellow mustard gravy so I prefer to cook it with green chillies. Add the slitted green chillies.
- Drizzle 1 tsp of mustard oil. The aroma of mustard oil gives a nice flavor to this steamed fish curry.
- Close the tiffin box and place it in a pressure cooker. Add water in the pressure cooker. The water level should be upto half of the tiffin box.
- Steam it for 5-7 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Serve it with a dash of lemon juices and chopped coriander leaves with steamed rice