This ‘Bhapa Doi Rui’ (Steamed Rohu Fish with Yogurt and Mustard) is another very easy and quick recipe. When we are in real hurry we make this to fix our quick lunch. Best part of this recipe is it can be cooked absolutely oil free. Dry mustard powder is readily available nowadays in every grocery store so gone those days when we had to think of grinding mustard paste. And yogurt is one ingredient which is very common in Indian kitchen. So these two ingredients can do wonder together!
It is important to marinate the raw fish with lemon juice and turmeric powder and later wash it off before marinate it with mustard-yogurt paste, as lemon juice helps in tendering the fish as well as drains out its raw smell of the fish. I have made this with Rohu Fish as it has a distinct sweet flavor. You can cook this with Katla or Bhetki or Salmon too. Serve it with steamed rice and it is an absolute bliss! I like this dish a little tangy so I added chopped tomatoes. If you do not like you may avoid using the same.
- Wash the fish pieces and smear turmeric powder, 2 tsp lemon juice and some salt. Let it marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- In a microwave proof bowl mix in the mustard powder and yogurt with a little salt, sugar, red chillie powder and ¼ cup of water.
- Wash the fish pieces and put them in the bowl. Marinate the fish pieces with the marination for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the slitted green chillies and chopped tomatoes. Drizzle 1 tsp of mustard oil (optional). The aroma of mustard oil gives a nice flavor to this steamed fish curry.
- Cook the fish in micro high for 3 minutes. Then turn the fish pieces and cook for another 2 minutes. Give 5 minutes standing time.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.