‘Aloo Matar’is a classic Punjabi dish. But yesterday I made it slightly different way for dinner. ‘Aloo Matar’ is a potato and green peas curry sautéed with Indian spices. There are so many variations of ‘Aloo Matar’, however I wanted to create a version that didn’t have too much gravy and I wanted to have a golden yellow gravy with contrast of green from peas and chopped coriander so I used less tomatoes, added a little more turmeric powder. This is also a no onion- no garlic recipe with a few basic masalas. This dish goes really well with Roti or Paratha.
Though ‘Aloo Matar’ is a classic Punjabi dish but I prepared it slightly different way. Instead of cumin seed I have used nigella seeds (kalo jeera) and I didn’t used onion paste or garlic paste. Instead of coriander powder I have used cumin powder to give a sharp nutty flavour. To balance the sharpness of tomato I have used little bit of sugar. Here I have used mustard oil but any other oils can also be used.
- Boil the potatoes in steamer or in pressure cooker. Peel the skin and cut it into cubes.
- Blanch the peas in a little water until parboiled and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil; add nigella seeds, when it sizzles, add asafetida.
- When it exudes aroma add bay leaves and chopped tomatoes and sauté until tomatoes are mashed.
- Add the cubed boiled potatoes, peas and ginger paste and sauté for 5 mins or till oil separates and the raw flavor of the ginger paste gone.
- Add the dry masalas except garam masala powder, sugar and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add 1 cup of water and mix well. Check for salt.
- Simmer and cook covered for another 6-7 minutes adding garam masala powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with parathas, rotis or puries. You can adjust the consistency of the gravy according to your personal preferences.