Potol or Pointed Gourd is the most common vegetables of summer. Because of its high content of water it is advised to take potol during summer in your regular diet. Many of you may not like ‘potol’ of many of your family members may not like potol. But trust me and try this ‘Potol Rezala’ and you are going to love it. In my family we love ‘potol’ so I keep on experimenting with ‘potol’ cooking different dishes. This is a very easy recipe with yogurt gravy. Using yogurt I also make ‘Spicy Doi Potol’ and ‘Doi Potol’ too and cook potol as ‘Potoler Malaikari’ by using coconut milk. If you are looking for some different recipes you can check these recipes too.
- 8 – 10 Potol or Pointed Gourd – pieces
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 2 Dry Whole Red Chili
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¼ tsp Sahee Jeera
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Clove
- 1” Cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsps Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Paste
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Green Chillie Paste
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cream
- 5 – 6 tsps Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 2 tsps Sugar
- To taste Salt
- Beat the yogurt with little water and sugar, there should be no lumps in the yogurt, keep it aside.
- Scrap the skin of potol and peel alternately. Cut both the ends and make small slits on both the pointed ends.
- Smear the potols with a little turmeric and salt.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan and fry the potol. While frying the potol keep the fire to medium so that the potol do not get burned. Fry the potol till it takes nice light brown color. Take out the potol and keep aside.
- Add 1 tsp of oil if required else add bay leaf, dry red chilies, cardamom, cinnamon stick, clove, shahi jeera. As the masalas leave a nice aroma add the ginger paste. Cook for few minutes.
- Add the beaten yogurt. Keep stirring continuously and keep the flame to medium, till the yogurt is cooked. When oil gets separated from the yogurt and giving a nice shine to the gravy, it means the gravy is ready.
- Add green chillie paste, garam masala paste and remaining sugar.
- Add the fried potol. Mix well. Add little water.
- Adjust salt. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Drizzle 1 tsp of ghee on t op and serve with roti, paratha or rice.