Recently one of my friends asked me to share an easy recipe for vegetable fried rice. This vegetable fried rice recipe is a very easy one with attention given to all finer details. For perfect vegetable fried rice it is advised to use cooked and cooled rice even it is better to use a day old cooked rice. Hot and fresh rice is not very good for any fried rice recipe, you can even refrigerate the cooked rice for few hours, hot rice just turns mushy and spoils the whole recipe. Selection of veggies also play an important role here, use freshest tender veggies as we are going to sauté the veggies for a short time in high flame.
I prefer to follow the thumb rule of using rice and veggies in 2:1 ratio, which is if you use 1 cup of cooked rice, use ½ cup of very finely chopped mixed veggies. You can serve this Bengali Style Vegetable Fried Rice with any vegetable or non vegetable Bengali or Indian gravy. If you are looking for a simple yet delicious vegetable fried rice recipe, try this easy vegetable fried rice with just few ingredients. This is my favourite recipe which we often try at our home on any week end lunch or dinner.
Ingredients to serve 6
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and cook with enough water (2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice) and a few of oil and 1 tsp salt.
- Fluff and cool the rice thoroughly by spreading on big plates. (Cook at least before 2 hours).
- Heat 3-4 Tbsp refined oil in a broad karai or wok. Fry the cashew and raisins. Keep them aside.
- Add the ghee, whole spices and bay leaf. Sauté till it exudes aroma.
- Add the chopped onion and green chillie and sauté quickly for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the veggies and mix well and sauté in high flame for 3 minutes, the veggies should get cooked yet remain crunchy.
- Add salt and nutmeg powder and mix well. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and mix gently. Add sugar and mix gently.
- Adjust salt add oil if required and mix gently.
- Mix in the fried cashew nuts and raisins.
- Serve Bengali Style Vegetable Fried Rice hot with Macher Kalia or Quick Chicken Curry or Spicy Red Chicken Curry or any suitable curry of your choice.
~ The rice has to be really cool and fluffy before mixing.
~ It is recommended to use a day old rice.