I wanted to fix a quick and tasty lunch on Independence Day so I made Egg Korma to accompany with Tri Colour Pulao. Korma is a Turkish preparation which is braised in yogurt, cream, nuts and seeds paste based gravy. (See here).
I hardly meet any person who does not like egg! May be due to some health reason/issues they are not allowed to take egg but given a choice between other non-veg preparation and egg, most people like to have egg. It is the same story in my family too. This is very simple and easy fried onion based gravy recipe to cook. Let’s see how to make Egg Korma.
- Hard boil the eggs and make a light cut marks on four sides of boiled eggs. Marinate them with 1tsp salt n a little turmeric powder and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat white oil 2 Tbsp and fry the eggs to a golden brown colour. Keep them aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and ghee. Fry the sliced onions till they become golden in colour. Keep them aside.
- Lightly fry the raisins and cashews and keep them aside too.
- In the same ghee-oil add whole garam masala i.e. green cardamom, clove, cinnamon, dry whole red chillie and bay leaf. When the spices start to exude aroma add onion paste and sugar. Sauté very well. The sugar when caramelized with onion it gives a nice colour and flavour to the gravy.
- Now add ginger paste, garlic paste and tomato paste. Fry till oil separates.
- Now add all the dry masalas except garam masala. Sauté for few seconds and then add beaten yogurt.
- Again sauté till oil separates and add fried eggs.
- Add some water. The consistency of the curry will not be very thin.
- After 2-3 minutes add the fried onions (keep couple of tea spoon aside for garnish) and green chillies.
- Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes. You will see that the oil from the fried onion when mixed with the yougurt gravy, giving a very nice red colour.
- Finish it with fresh cream and garam masala powder.
- Garnish with fried onion, fried raisins and fried cashews. Egg Korma is ready!
~Beat the yogurt very well adding a little sugar according to your taste before adding it to the masala.
~While adding the yogurt keep the fire low else the yogurt will curdle.