To celebrate our 70th Independence Day I made very simple and easy ‘Tiranga Pulao’ or ‘Tri Colour Pulao’ as a tribute to the super Heroes at the Border areas who are protecting us 24X7, so that we can lead a normal happy life. No gratitude is enough to show homage to them as under such a extreme climate they are been posted in ‘Chowkis’ like Siachen, Kargil, remote areas like Arunachal Pradesh et. al.
Maa makes a colourful Rainbow Pulao mostly in winter using colourful winter vegetables like beetroot, carrot, peas, beans, broccoli etc. So I thought of tweaking the recipe make this pulao which I have named as ‘Tiranga Pulao’ or ‘Tri Colour Pulao’. This is a very simple Ghee Rice with adding saffron colour and green colour to represent our Indian Tri-Colour National Flag. Though I personally do not like to add any artificial food colour in my cooking rather give emphasis on retaining the natural colour but for special occasion like this it is ok. What do you say?
- In a masleen cloth keep all the whole garam maslas and tie them in a bundle, this is called bouquet garni. Soak the rice in water.
- Now in a large pot or vessel boil water. The water and rice ratio should be 2:1. Put the bouquet garni, bay leaf and little salt. When water starts to boil add the soaked rice. Cover and cook till it is almost done. Care should be taken so that the rice should not be over cooked else the rice will become lumpy and would not be able to fry them.
- Remove the bouquet garni and bay leafs. Drain water and divide the cooked rice in three parts and spread the cooked rice in three large plates.
- Heat oil + ghee in a non stick kadai or pan and fry the sliced onion till they become crispy and golden in colour. Keep them aside.
- Now fry the cashew and raisins and keep separately.
- Add more oil and ghee if required then add one portion of rice. Stir continuously else the rice will stick to the bottom of the pan. Add sugar according to your taste and adjust salt. Keep the fried pulao separately.
- In the same pan add more oil and ghee and add another portion of cooked rice, stir and add few drops of saffron colour. Mix very well. Adjust salt and sugar, keep it separately.
- Again put some oil and ghee in the kadai and add the third part of the cooked rice. Add green colour, salt, sugar and mix very well. Keep this aside too.
- Now take a mould and spread fried onion, cashew and raisins in a layer.
- Top them with a layer of saffron coloured pulao. Press very well.
- Now make a layer of white pulao and press them well.
- Now make a layer of green coloured pulao and press very well.
- Now carefully demould the pulao on the serving plate.
- Tri Colour Pulao or Tiranga Pulao is ready to be served with any Indian Veg or Non Veg Curry. I sever it with Egg Korma and Stuffed Oler Kofta Curry.