I like to bake simple cakes for accompanying with evening tea. I already have shared Christmas Fruit Cake on the eve of Christmas and thought of sharing a simple and easy recipe of every day fruit cake. This cake is loved by all. It has a very soft buttery flavour with crunch of fruits and nuts on top. Normally I do not use nuts in the cake as except Christmas Fruit Cake but if you wish you can always add nuts in your batter too.
It is raining heavily outside. Needless to say that we all love to have fritters in this lovely rainy season and if you can bake this Fruit-n-Nut Cake, nothing like this. So enjoy your Fruit-n-Nut Cake with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
- Prepare a square or a round cake pan. I used an 8 inches square pan.
- Grease the cake pan lightly with oil. You can also line the pan with butter paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Sieve the flours, baking powder.
- Add butter and sugar and beat very well.
- Add eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time and mix uniformly.
- Add vanilla extract. Stir and mix quickly but uniformly. Pour in the mixture in the cake pan.
- Shake and tap the pan lightly so that the cake is spread evenly throughout the whole pan.
- Sprinkle the fruit and nuts mixture on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 40-45 minutes or more or less depending on your oven.
- Insert a knife or tooth peak in middle of the cake if it comes clean then your cake is ready!
- Either wrap the Fruit-n-Nut Cake in a cling film or store in a container.
~ If the top of the cake browns quickly, then cover the top with butter paper or aluminium foil.
~ Instead of butter you can use oil.
~ The fruit cake can also be completely made with whole wheat flour or all purpose flour.
~ Instead of regular sugar, brown sugar can also be used.