This is my favourite recipe for homemade Mom’s special classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. Super-moist and full of flavor! I make this recipe all the time. And this is a no failure recipe. I like to use dark brown sugar because I like slightly dark brown on the top layer of the cake when you turn the cake. You can use light brown sugar too.
It is raining heavily outside and as I sit at my work desk and see this outside, I’m desperately craving for this fruity – juicy cake with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
when I was taking this photograph I was thinking when I’ll gorge into into this super-moist pineapple upside down cake with hot cup of green tea. My mom makes pineapple upside-down cake every year when monsoon is around as fresh and juicy pineapple is available everywhere in the market. This year, I’m bringing my homemade version to you.
Serve it with some vanilla ice cream as a dessert and you’ll be in heaven. It goes without saying how much I am in love with this super juicy-fruity cake!
- Pre Heat the oven at 180 C.
- Prepare topping first: Place melted butter into a 9×2 inch (deep dish) round cake pan. Make sure it is a deep pan. Sprinkle with 100 gms of brown sugar. Top with pineapple slices (if using canned one) and arrange cherries between the pineapple slices. (I have used fresh pineapple, so I have boiled the pineapple with 4 Tbsp of sugar. Do not overcook the pineapple) Set aside.
- Prepare the cake: In a medium bowl, seive together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Separate egg yok and egg white.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk in the sugar and eggs yokes. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites. It is advisable to use an electric beater. You need not to beat until it froms a peak.
- Mix in the pineapple juice, and vanilla essence until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Slowly fold in the egg whites.
- If required add some milk. But it is optional.
- Pour/spoon batter into prepared pan. Make sure it’s not overflowing– this recipe makes enough batter for your deep dish pan. Bake for at 40-45 minutes at 150-180 C.
- Insert a knife or a toothpick in the cake if it comes out clean it means the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool down at room temperature. You will see that the edges of the cake is coming of it’s own. It means that the cake is ready to turn.
- Invert cake on top of a cake stand or a large serving plate. Slice and serve warm, room temperature, or even cold. Try serving with vanilla ice cream – it’s a delicious combination. Cover cake and store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
~ This isn’t the best cake to make ahead of time because the pineapples will settle down into the cake- while still tasty, the presentation won’t be as pleasing.